20-30% of the carbon-footprint of clothing takes place after it’s been bought. As a consumer, you have the choice to opt for quality over quantity. It feels good to know your fabrics, invest in evergreen pieces, and be considerate about how you wash your (under)garments.
Repeat after me: I will treat my lingerie with respect.
WASHING YOUR LINGERIE
First determine what material your lingerie is made of.
STRETCH MESH LINGERIE
Polyamide / elastane mix.
Soft stretchy and semi sheer fabric. Very versatile and stylish.
We know it’s a drag, but the surest way to make your lingerie last is by hand washing. Just make sure not to catch the fabric on your jewellery!
- Dab any stains with mild soap and water and gently rub.
- Soak with a delicate detergent or lingerie wash for a few minutes, working suds gently into the fabric, and rinse thoroughly. Repeat if needed.
- Very gently squeeze in your hands to remove excess water
- Press against a towel to remove some more of the water
- Hang to dry
If that’s not an option, machine wash on a gentle cycle in a laundry bag.
- Place intimates in your laundry bag and zip, don’t forget to hook your bras together to avoid snagging it on other clothing.
- Wash on cold to preserve fabric elasticity and colour vibrance.
- Hang to dry (Heat from the dryer breaks down the elastic and spandex, making them fall apart sooner).